Friday, April 19, 2013

NBA Western Conference Playoffs Preview

My playoffs preview continues, as we dive head first into the Western Conference. Don't worry, there's at least ten feet of water in this pool.




As I write this, I am sitting here watching the show Dance Moms on Lifetime. And it got me wondering, why can't David Stern pull some strings and get either NBATV or TBS to start airing our newest reality show, Basketball Dads? The whole point of the show would be fielding a five on five game with ten fathers currently in the NBA. That's one catch, they need to be currently in the NBA so they have something to occupy most of their time to make this more stressful on them. Latrell Sprewell would have been on it if not for the qualification. The two teams would have two weeks to practice for the big games. The fathers are the coaches of each team, obviously. Who would be the favorites for a few of the ten dads? Obviously Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan, but want to know my dark horse? We're throwing Stephen Jackson on to the show regardless of whether or not he is a dad. I'm really not sure and I am not looking it up for fear of what having that in my history would do to my pride. Well, I think I'm more afraid of what I would find, actually. So, get on that Stern. You know TBS would air this. Any of my readers know anyone at TBS? Let's make this happen. Travis Henry can be the judge. 

So, the Western Conference baby. This side of the coin is wide open and much more competitive. The West, compared to the East, will likely be a dogfight that might not see any sweeps and will definitely provide for great basketball. Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Tim Duncan, James Harden, Stephen Curry, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Andre Iguodala and Ty Lawson all play out west. Those are some of the biggest names in the league today. Andre Miller plays out west too, by the way. 

I cant wait for the Western Conference playoffs because the only team I really don't like are the Lakers. And even now, I do like Dwight and Steve Nash, so seeing a playoff run wouldn't be the end of the world. This more closely marks something I hate. How can someone be offended by Captain Underpants? He was a staple of my childhood, and I turned out pretty close to kind of all right, man. 

Before we get into my preview for the Wild Wild West (Will Smith just earned twelve dollars from my bank account), here are my 2012-13 season awards:
MVP: Winner: LeBron James, Second Place: James Harden, Third Place: Kevin Durant
Coach of the Year: Winner: Greg Popovich, Second Place: Marc Jackson, Third Place: Erik Spoelestra
Rookie of the Year: Winner: Damian Lillard, Second Place: Damian Lillard, Third Place: Damian Lillard
Sixth Man: Winner: Jarrett Jack, Second Place: J.R. Smith, Third Place: Damien Wilkins (this is my way of getting vengeance for the Andrew Bynum deal)
Defensive Player of the Year: Winner: Joakhim Noah, Second Place: Marc Gasol, Third Place: LeBron James
Moment of the Year: Winner: Spurs releasing Stephen Jackson to sign T-Mac, Second Place: LeBron dunking on Jason Terry, Third Place: All of Doug Collins' press conferences

Okay, Western Conference!

WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS- FIRST ROUND
(1) OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER vs (8) HOUSTON ROCKETS
     This series is probably the one I am most hyped about! I love that it worked out this way, and can't help but think that my boy James Harden slipped a little bit so his team could fall to the eight spot and a chance to evoke revenge on the Thunder. Harden may not admit to feeling slighted by his old team, but you know he has to. Oklahoma City can defend their move for financial reasons all they want, they still kind of shoved a stick up Harden's ass last offseason when they traded him to Houston. 

But Harden took the starting spot on the Rockets and emerged as the team leader and an MVP candidate. James Harden put up career numbers in his first season as a starter, leading Houston back into the playoffs. The nucleus of Omer Asik, Harden, Thomas Robinson, Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin, with Delfino coming off the bench is a team to be reckoned with. But without the bad blood between Harden and the Thunder, this series is probably over in five. Kevin Durant is too good to let it go any further than that, he'll spot them one game. But, I see it much differently with that added element. Maybe I am reading too much into it, I probably am (I usually do). I think Harden goes off in this series, inspired by the chance to show the Thunder "y'all should have kept me around". Was adding that y'all uncalled for? No.

I am calling it right now, the Houston Rockets win this series. Listen, put that brick down. You can't hurt me through your laptop, readers. Here me out. James Harden was basically told "we value you and all, but we're not going to pay you. So we're going to get rid of you, because we can still win a title without you. Thanks!". If you were fired by your boss, and he told you they can still be profitable without you, how would you feel? Slighted? Well, what if you got a job with a competitor, and in some weird reality show challenge, your company went up against your old one and whoever won was declared "World's Best Company"? You would work your ass off to show up your old company, right? Now imagine you're really good at your job, like James Harden. See, you're seeing where I'm coming from now, huh?

The Thunder are a very balanced team. That means nothing. The Mavericks were ousted in 2007 when the Golden State Warriors, led by Baron Davis, upset them in the first round. These things happen. The Rockets are not your prototypical eight seed. They are ridiculously talented and can score in bunches. The series gets out of hand after OKC drops two of the first three, and eventually Harden sees the light at the end of the tunnel and moves on. Biggest upset ever, and you heard it here first. And I'm not like CNN, I don't say things just for ratings. But I do love all my readers, and promise a cruise to all of you if you comment. But not really, there's no cruise. But comment. Please.

Rockets in seven, and David Stern goes missing.

(2) SAN ANTONIO SPURS vs (7) LOS ANGELES LAKERS
     Whoa. All of the sudden, the Lakers are not only in the playoffs, but the seventh seed? And how the hell did the Spurs end up as the two seed? It's been a completely different past two weeks for both of these teams. The Lakers have won five in a row to make their playoff push amidst losing Kobe Bryant for the season. The Spurs have dropped out of the one seed through a mix of sitting players, getting banged up and really just not playing well at all. Not the matchup Spurs fans were hoping for.

This Lakers team finally seems to be gelling at the right time. For the record, I did not think gelling was a word, but it had no red squiggly line under it so apparently it is. And apparently so is squiggly. See, we learn valuable life lessons here at the Nugget Blog, so tell your friends. The Nugget Blog: Where Life Happens.

While I'm somewhat running on an adrenaline rush here after picking Houston to upset the heavily favored Thundaaaa, I think I should stray from having the Lakers upset the Spurs too. Even though deep down, I think it might just happen. Dwight Howard can take over the team. False. I threw that in there to sway you. ESPN has been freaking out, wondering if Dwight plays better without Kobe. Listen, they've played three games without him. That is not a big enough sample size to make those assumptions. Trust me, I got a B in my Statistics class in my sophomore year of college. I was also drunk every day of the weekend that year, but that's another story. When I publish my own book detailing my drunken escapades (Max Tucker, I'm looking at you), than we can dive into the story of me starting a Minorities vs Whites flipcup game. And only than. 

If anyone can avoid falling into the chicanery of the Lakers season, its Pops and his Spurs. San Antonio could care less about how the Lakers got here or everything that happened with Bryant. The Spurs can tune that stuff out and leave it all on the court. And with everything being left on the court, I put my trust in the Spurs for two reasons.

One, I don't think Steve Nash will be a factor at all in this series. Not that he has been much of a help to LA this season anyway, but the Lakers could use Nash's experience and prior success against the Spurs. If Steve Blake has to run the point the entire series here, I have even less trust in the Lakers. Two, I don't think Howard will be all there. Not that he is going to sellout like James did against Boston in 2009, or Ryan Howard in 2011 (you think I buy into the whole tearing his Achilles or whatever the injury was? Conspiracy!!). But I think Howard might be leaving LA this offseason. Where? I have no idea. Would a team be willing to gamble on the guy who screwed two organizations in two years? I bet over half of them would be. Dwight is a great player, when in the right situation. He wasn't in the right situation in his final season in Orlando because of the expectations and pressure to leave. He wasn't in the right season with the Lakers because they were expected to win 70 games almost instantly. He was also on national spotlight, I don't think he can thrive in that unless he is telling jokes or wearing a SuperMan outfit. Maybe he leaves for, say, Philadelphia? They gambled on Bynum, have some money to throw around, need a big guy, and offer a big market without the national limelight. I can't, I have to stop. It could happen though, no, I have to stop.

The Lakers make it exciting and this series goes six, but Tim Duncan and the Spurs are not a team that is one and done. They advance, winning 4-2.

(3) DENVER NUGGETS vs (6) GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
     Denver's championship hopes went up in flames when they lost Danilo Galinari. That doesn't mean they can't beat a floundering Warriors teams that is content on making the playoffs.

I've seen plenty of people buy into the Warriors. I did for a little while in the beginning of the season. They were the fun team to watch, one of the premier League Pass teams this season. They were good for 100 points a game, could shoot really well from beyond the arc, and Marc Jackson is their coach. What more do you need in the Fun Team To Watch formula? If Steve Nash circa 2005 was their point guard, Warriors games would be broadcast on MTV. Although, I don't know if thats a good thing. On a side note, MTV has started playing throwback music videos again. Well, at least I just noticed this, it could have been going on for years for all I know. But I was tuning in during the day and was so excited when I saw the music video for "Pass that Dutch" by Missy Elliott on the throwback hour, or something. That music video is great for two reasons. One, Missy Elliott as a scarecrow is something we should all be required to see at least once. Two, the lyric "hold me out the window, call me Michael Jackson" should be required to be sung in every song produced at least once. 

Stephen Curry broke Ray Allen's record for most three's in a single season in the Warriors final game. Curry put on a spectacle this season, and thats all he will have to show for it, that record. Not to take anything away from that, that truly is accomplishment and Curry did beat the all-time leader in threes, contrary to what my old roommate thought, to get there. My favorite memory of my old roommate was watching a Celtics game while Allen was approaching Reggie Miller's three pointers record. Allen took a three midway through the game, to which my roommate argued "Why is Ray taking a three, he's more of an inside the paint kind of guy". I really should write a blog some day of the moronic statements my old roommate made over our tenure as roommates. Anyhow, Curry did not make the All-Star game this season (travesty), won't place on an All-NBA team (travesty), and will probably be ousted in the first round since the Warriors will have to play more games in Denver than away from Denver. So, this got me thinking that we should have an award that goes to the best player in a season who did not make the All-Star game. We could call it Snub of the Year or Non All-Star All-Star of the Year. Or we could even sponsor it and call it the Gillette Fusion Dude Got Game Player of the Year. I know, they all work. Curry would win it this season, Marcin Gortat or Al Jefferson could have taken it last season, and Corey Maggette would have zero. 

This series actually features two of the best League Pass teams in the history of League Pass teams. Denver led the NBA in scoring per game, with 106.1, and the Warriors clocked in at 7th with 101.2. The Warriors hit 40% of their three pointers, far and away the best in the league. Denver was the only team to score over 8700 points. The difference will come down to two things, youth and home court. Both teams are young, but the Warriors are really young and have zero playoff experience. Denver did almost take down the Lakers in an exciting seven game series last season, so they won't be as jittery. They also have home court, which is huge. Denver lost three more games at home this season than I did. Denver's astounding 38-3 home record was the best in the league. Golden State also worries me with their 18-18 record since February began. Denver, on the other hand, is 28-7 in the same span, including that 15 game winning streak they went on in March. I just think Denver is built to win this series, pretty quickly too. I don't really see this series going past five. All of the games will certainly be exciting and probably pretty close, but the Nuggets will be able to close games out better. I also like Andre Iguodala this season in Denver. He may have screwed the 76ers over, but he will help the Nuggets win this series. That all being said, please head to Amazon.com to preorder your Golden State Warriors 2013 NBA Champions merchandise. 

Nuggets in five.

(4) LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS vs (5) MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
     This bugs me a lot less since the Clippers ended up with the same record as Memphis, both won 56 games, but the NBA needs to stop rewarding teams who win their division by giving them a guaranteed spot in the first four. I understand the logic of doing it, to give some kind of reward and incentive for winning your division, but why do we need that? If Memphis won more games than the Clippers, but didn't win their division, why should they be the lower seed and lose out on home court advantage? It just doesn't make much sense to me, but thats not the case here, so we don't need to nitpick. It's not called the Nitpick Blog, am I right?!

Also, I think the NBA should make this series a staple (pun intended, the Clippers play in the Staples Center) of the playoffs. Last year's seven game series was easily the best series of the entire playoffs. Thats right, I enjoyed it more than the Heat-Thunder Finals. This season should be just as good, as both teams have improved dramatically since last year. Except, sorry Clippers fans, I think this season Memphis wins in six. And I picked the Clippers to make the Finals in my preview of this season. So why am I backstabbing my loyal Clippers readers and my boy Caron Butler? A few reasons, take a seat and pour yourself a drink.

First and foremost, DeAndre Jordan is being held personally responsible for the demise of my fantasy basketball team this year. I was in first place since around Christmas heading into the playoffs. I was on my high horse, and knew the title was mine. There was only one other good team in my league, and I knew I could beat her team. My team had destiny on their side, or so I thought (should I start writing fiction books, that was pretty dramatic stuff!). I faced that other impressive squad in the championship game, and DeAndre Jordan decided he had done enough this season, and he deserves a week off from playing even respectably. Jordan grabbed me 30 boards in one week, scored just 24 points, got me one less turnover than assists, blocks and steals combined, and shot exactly zero percent from the line. It didn't help that Chandler Parsons and Dwayne Wade didn't play a minute for me, but I'd rather hold Jordan responsible. He just bothers me. 

Second, I don't like the way the Clippers line up against this Memphis team without Rudy Gay. I like the Griz Kids a lot more post-Gay (lol). The one matchup that stands out the most to me will be Tony Allen and Chris Paul again. We all know Paul has turned it on in the playoffs in the past, but I don't think he will explode like he has before, having to face Trick or Treat Tony the whole night. If Allen can contain Paul, a zone or double team technique could be implanted on Griffin, and than who did the Clippers go to in a situation where they need to score? Jamal Crawford? In the playoffs? I don't trust Jamal Crawford with my mail in the playoffs for fear of something like this happening. The Grizzlies can go to Z-Bo, Gasol, Conley, or Prince to score. I'd trust all of them in the playoffs to get the bucket when it is needed. 

Third and final, I really think we're going to see the Zach Randolph from 2011 in this series. I know his numbers and energy slumped this season (although he still posted a 15-11 a game) but I think he is going to channel his old self in this series. At least I hope, I loved the old Z-Bo. However, if he does channel that old Z-Bo, this series could be over in fewer than six. If he doesn't show up, I am turning back to my Clippers pick and taking them in seven. Oh man, I can't pick between these two teams. I feel like a teenage boy going through puberty who has a lot of money, and his best friend whose he has always had a crush on (the Clippers) is interested in him for real, and the most popular girl in class and the best looking (the Grizzlies) is also interested. Who do you pick there? Well, if our teenage boy is anything like Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle, he picks the Grizzlies. Grizzlies in six, my friends. Enjoy.

WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS- SECOND ROUND
(8) HOUSTON ROCKETS vs (5) MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
     I feel dirty for having this second round encounter, since the favorite is probably definitely a Thunder-Clippers matchup. Well, we contradict what you think here at the Nugget Blog. Like you might think Nick Minaj is a good host on American Idol. She's not. She's a moron. And you might think the second season of Teen Mom was just as good as the first one. You're wrong again, the second season had nothing on the first. That would be like comparing the fourth Indiana Jones movie to any of the first three. Or comparing stubbing your toe to getting your hand stuck in a vending machine and having the machine fall on you while you try to break free. And having Tom Green watch it all with the keys to the machine door. 

So, instead of looking what could have been in a series pitting CP3 against Kevin Durant, lets instead drool over the James Harden-Grizzlies defense fest we've got here. I know this series probably wouldn't do so well with the old ratings, and might make David Stern want to give Tim Donaghy a call and see what he's up to, but I would love this series. I love the Rockets, which probably biased me a lot when picking them over OKC. I think Harden is the league's coolest guy, other than Kobe Bryant and Dwayne Wade. Spencer Hawes is in dead last here. I love how he can take over a game and can drive the basket and hit improbable threes. I love the big man presence Omer Asik brings to the table. Asik will be good for double digit boards in every one of the games in this series. I love Thomas Robinson, and have no explanation for why Sacramento traded him for a Subway gift card other than that they know something we don't about the possible Seattle deal. I love Chandler Parsons and Carlos Delfino. Both of those guys can kill you from the beyond the arc. And I actually love Jeremy Lin. Linsanity might have died, but Lin continues to put up solid enough numbers to allow for Harden to get his 25 a game. 

The question here is can Memphis defend the firepower that Houston possesses, or can Houston capitalize on its scoring and stop the Grizzlies from keeping up with them. This is strength vs weakness at its finest. Houston can score but plays weak defense, Memphis can play defense but doesn't score. They scored 93.4 points a game, good enough to outscore only Washington, Chicago and Philadelphia. However, Houston only gave up less PPG than Charlotte and Sacramento.

In the playoffs, I'm putting my chips all in on defense. 

The Grizzlies can lock down just about anybody. If they take away the three from Houston, this series ends quickly. I will give Houston the benefit of the doubt and assume they are good enough to hit some threes and take over two games, but I still say Memphis wins this series in six. Houston is in good position though to make a championship run in the near future. What would I do if I ran the Rockets, you ask?

Well, first, deal Lin. I know, I said I like Lin. But there is a plethora of better point guards available in free agency this season. Chris Paul? Realistically, I say trade Lin in a three played deal. Send Lin to the Pistons, in addition to James Anderson. Detroit sends Andre Drummond and Rodney Stuckey (who the desperately need to get off the payroll to being moving forward) to Philadelphia, and the 76ers send Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen to Houston. The Rockets land a strong forward who could start at power forward and Allen who could come off the bench. That is a starting four of Harden, Turner, Parsons and Asik, so we just need a point guard. A lot of good players available in the offseason, so why don't we ink Jarrett Jack. Houston loved the idea of giving sixth man Harden a starting spot, so why not Jack? I think that starting five can win upwards of 52 games next season. Why am I not running the Rockets?

Somewhere down the line, Memphis won this series in six. 

(2) SAN ANTONIO SPURS vs (3) DENVER NUGGETS
     Tim Duncan has one more championship run left in him as far as I'm concerned. Duncan still averaged almost a double-double this season, but he will be 37 at the end of April. He probably can't keep this caliber of play up for much longer, but what do I know. All though I did win a game of one-on-one against my one buddy the other night. My floater was on par. I can only imagine how sad the game looked to anyone other than me and my buddy. 

San Antonio thought they were on a collision course for the Finals last season, winning 18 games in a row and staring the playoffs on an 8-0 tear. Than, fatigue and age set in and they were watching the NBA Finals from home. They didn't forget that feeling. Popovich rested players and took scorn for it. He told us he knew what he is doing, and I trust the guy. I am 100% against the notion that coaches can win championships, unless that coach is Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich. Mike Brown and Vinny Del Negro are not on the list. 

This series is interesting, because both teams have great offenses. Denver scores in bunches, the Spurs are more methodical. They find ways to beat you. They expose your weakness. They also play better defense, ranking 11th in the league compared to Denver's 23rd ranking. The reason I like San Antonio in this series is because I think Duncan has one more championship run in him. I don't know if he will win the title this season (spoiler alert: I do know what I think, but you can't yet. Sorry), but I know he won't settle for a second round upset. Duncan wants the chance to play in at least one more NBA Finals. He hasn't been there since 2007, when he embarrassed LeBron like the Joe Schmo Show embarrassed Chase Rogan. Tim Duncan is a first ballot Hall of Famer, and there is a reason for that. If they handed out a Playoffs MVP, Tim Duncan would be my pick this season. 

I respect what Denver did this season. They had a fine year and have plenty to build off of. They are a few missing pieces away from being a real championship threat to Miami. Faried's health will determine how close they make this series. Realistically, I think they can take all three at home, but I am sold too high on Timmy D. I think they win Games 3 and 4 before Duncan really takes over and carries his Spurs to the Western Conference Finals. Spurs win this series in six. Also, as I wrote this, "Spirit in the Sky" came on in my iTunes. I think this should be Tim Duncan's official NBA career theme song. We should start making this a thing. Stephon Marbury's could be either "Why Don't You Get a Job" by The Offspring or "Right Here Waiting" by Staind.

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS
(2) SAN ANTONIO SPURS vs (5) MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES
     You would think that this series would a goodie. Memphis plays great defense, they are honestly probably the closest team in comparison to the way the Spurs play in the NBA today. Plus, its the Western Conference Finals baby! 

I've got the Spurs in five, and I really want to listen to my gut and take them in four. But I won't, for the love of Stern, I won't!

When I sat down to do these predictions, I didn't think I would pick the Spurs to make it to the Finals. They finished the regular season on a 3-7 limp while the rest of the West finished the regular season relatively hot (outside of the Warriors). But I really think that is only because they knew they had the top 1 or 2 seed locked up, they just needed rest. They lost so abruptly last season because the fatigue just set in and the bottom fell out. What other explanation is there for an 18 game winning streak to end so quickly? That won't happen this year, regardless of the health of Ginobili, Parker and Duncan. 

This team is very complete. Kawhi Leonard really settled into his role, as did Tiago Splitter. Both of those players will be key into this San Antonio championship run I'm devising. But you know who might just be a dark horse in this whole thing. My main man, T-Mac! McGrady is not going to being putting up triple doubles or 35 points at any point ever again in his career. But whose to say T-Mac can't step in off the bench and take over the game for ten minutes? He can still score, he didn't look that bad last season in the playoffs for Atlanta. I was surprised at first when I saw the Spurs signed him, mostly because I was still surprised that they released Stephen Jackson. However, I really love the deal. Low risk, high reward. If he isn't performing, stop giving him playoff minutes. If he does, and I think he will, play him into the NBA Finals mon!

Memphis is a very good team. I love the defense they play, the rebound and they play with intangibles. That is usually a good formula for reaching the Finals. Not this time around. To beat the Spurs, they are going need to their own form of Tim Duncan. No one out West has that except for the Lakers when Kobe is on the court or Oklahoma City with Durant. Maybe Dallas with a healthy Dirk. San Antonio doesn't have to go through Kobe, Durant, or Dirk to reach the championship series if the playoffs play out like I've drawn them up (and trust me, they won't). Tim Duncan can take over every series playing against Dwight Howard, Ty Lawson and Marc Gasol. He's too good, he's too experienced. Spurs make it look easier than it will be and win in five.

NBA FINALS
(1) MIAMI HEAT vs (2) SAN ANTONIO SPURS
     Both times we saw these two square off in the regular season, we did not get to see all of the starters on the court. San Antonio rested their players in November (and got fined for some reason) and Miami did in March. It's almost as if this was supposed to happen. We had to be neglected the chance of seeing these complete teams play against each other until something more than regular season win was on the line. The championship. 

LeBron James still has plenty to prove. You know what Ric Flair once said, "I hate Eric Bischoffffffffffff" Whoops, I meant he once said "To be the man, you have to beat the man." LeBron took the easy way out and he joined forces with Wade and Bosh to create a super team instead of sticking with Cleveland to lead his squad to a title, thats fine. He has one ring under his belt. But he lost to Tim Duncan and the Spurs some six years ago. In order to move closer to becoming the greatest basketball player of all-time, he has to take down Duncan in this series. A loss would only put more nails in the coffin declaring LeBron can't get it done when it matters. 

I really hope this series happens. Tim Duncan and LeBron James might already be two of the greatest fifteen basketball players ever. To see them back on the court after James and his Cavs got ousted in four games six years ago would be incredible. Throw in Pat Riley and Popovich. Throw in Dwayne Wade and Tony Parker. Throw in some Shane Battier and Manu Ginobili. Chris Bosh is there too. This makes for a simple amazing NBA Finals atmosphere, one we have been missing for a little while. 

For whatever reason, last season's Finals didn't live up to the noise for me. It could have been the lockout. Last season just didn't end the way I want an NBA season to end, and that is not because I don't personally like Miami. I think Miami should win this season, I would actually not mind seeing them beat San Antonio. A Spurs-Heat Finals would just have a Hall of Fame feel to it, one we kind of saw in 2011 when Dallas beat Miami, but one we have definitely been missing since those two Celtics-Lakers Finals. I'm ignoring the Magic-Lakers Finals that separates those two classic series for the benefit of all of us, including Dwight Howard. 

Anyway, think of what this Finals would mean historically. A win would give Tim Duncan his fourth ring. A win for Miami would give Wade three and James two with three Finals appearances. It would also give Pat Riley nine rings, if you count the one he won in 1980 as an assistant coach with the Lakers. He won five as a head coach, one as an assistant, one as the general manager of the Heat last season, and one as a player in 1972. Would we have to ask Riley to become the commissioner after Stern? Or at least consider changing the logo of the NBA to one of Riley looking really pissed off in the stands? These are the implications of a Spurs-Heat Finals.

Ok, so we've lumbered through this novella, who is going to win the NBA Finals this season? I think this series goes seven games, and I really think it goes in the books as one of the greatest NBA Finals in league history. In the end, in Game 7, in Miami, I've got...how did this get here....the Heat coming out on top.

I don't know why, but I fully trust LeBron James now. I trust him to be able to win a Game 7, something he has yet to do in the Finals. He has shown he can be trusted and shown that he can't handle the spotlight, so how do I decipher between what LeBron to expect? I really think this season was a growing one for the King. It was his best statistically speaking, he almost averaged a freaking triple double a game. He looked like a man on a mission on that winning streak, a man who would do anything to keep it going. He has never looked more set in to winning, more committed. If I'm reading him right, and I think I am, the league should be worried. James won't rest until he brings seven rings to South Beach (or wherever he is playing in two years), and he has the talent and skill set to back that up. 

Buckle up, because we have officially entered the LeBron James era. The man is only 28, remember that. 


No comments: