Thursday, October 16, 2014

NFL 2014 Crystal Ball Picks- Week 7

I got blood work done for the first time in my life today, so if I pass out at any point during writing this post and you don't know what to expect for this weekend, remember one thing. It is perfectly acceptable to begin listening to Christmas music starting....now.

Thursday, October 16, 2014
New York Jets @ New England Patriots
My Pick: New England   Fantasy Impact Player: The Tom
Tom Brady has decided that he isn't ready for the end of a dynasty, so basically, it just isn't. Because Tom gets the final say apparently. Blowing out two very good defenses in back to back weeks is impressive. I'm worried to see what he does tonight with a Jets team that has lost five in a row. 

Sunday, October 19, 2014
Atlanta Falcons @ Baltimore Ravens
My Pick: Baltimore   Fantasy Impact Player: Justin Forsett, because I didn't start him in fantasy this week
Since the two came into the league back in 2008 (when the Phillies were the Royals of baseball

Tennessee Titans @ Washington Redskins
My Pick: Washington   Fantasy Impact Player: Alfred Morris
Can the Redskins just stop trying to make Kirk Cousins the next Peyton Manning already and hand the ball to Alfred Morris 45 times this game and see what happens? Its better than the game plans they've had in the past five weeks, leading to a 1-5 record and last place in the NFC East. As for the Titans, this is a team that almost lost to the Jaguars last Sunday at home and still finds Charlie Whitehurst getting meaningful playing time. Jake Locker, Whitehurst, Billy Volek, it doesn't matter how quarterbacks this team. They just aren't good.

Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams
My Pick: Seattle   Fantasy Impact Player: Russell Wilson
As mentioned earlier, elite quarterbacks come back from crushing losses with absolutely dominating performances. Tom Brady has done it for two consecutive weeks because he was pissed off about losing to the Chiefs on Monday Night Football. Russell Wilson has been called elite multiple times this season, and thats fine and cute and all. But if Wilson is an elite quarterback, he had better light up the scoreboard this week against a depleted Rams team on the road. The Seahawks better win this game by three scores to be the bullies of the league again. Anything else just wouldn't be elite.

Cleveland Browns @ Jacksonville Jaguars
My Pick: Cleveland   Fantasy Impact Player: Ben Tate
I actually find it hard to believe in this pick, mostly because I can't seem to fathom a world where the Cleveland Browns are 4-2 and in the thick of the playoff chase behind Ben Tate and Brian Hoyer. But its a real possibility! This team is good, they play defense, they can come up with big plays, they don't even really turn the ball over as much as they are accustomed to doing so. And kicking off a stretch that sees the Browns play teams with a combined 1-16 record over the next three weeks, there is a real chance the Browns could find themselves at 6-2 pretty soon. Let that sink in.

Cincinnati Bengals @ Indianapolis Colts
My Pick: Indianapolis   Fantasy Impact Player: Ahmad Bradshaw
I have lost all faith in the Bengals defense, particularly the rush defense, that I am doing a few things. I'm picking the Colts because I think they'll pick apart this defense in disarray, I'm going with Ahmad Bradshaw because I think Jimmy Fallon could rush for 100 yards against that rush D and I dropped the Bengals defense this week on my fantasy team that is also in a current funk. We all need help!

Minnesota Vikings @ Buffalo Bills
My Pick: Minnesota   Fantasy Impact Player: Teddy Bridgewater
The Vikings have been in six blowout games this season, on the wrong side of four of them and right side of two. I think this week will be the first close game of the their young season and the first real clutch test for Mr. Bridgewater. I just have a feeling the Vikings will pull this one off so people think they might make a run at 3-4, and then they'll probably lose out the rest of the year.

Miami Dolphins @ Chicago Bears
My Pick: Chicago   Fantasy Impact Player: Jay Cutler
Look, I'm stubborn, I know, I'm working on it. Just let me pick my Bears in peace.

New Orleans Saints @ Detroit Lions
My Pick: Detroit   Fantasy Impact Player: Matthew Stafford
I have no reason to pick the Saints on the road until they win a game on the road. This might be that game but I'm not buying into it until I see it. I'm a man of faith, I don't need to see the tangible, but when it comes to Drew Brees winning anywhere outside of his comfy dome down south, I can't believe until I see it. This is his seriously his chance though, playing inside of a dome and against a Lions offense that is shaky at best right now. 

Carolina Panthers @ Green Bay Packers
My Pick: Carolina   Fantasy Impact Player: Cam Newton
Newton looked like an MVP on Sunday, carrying an entire Panthers offense to tie-tory in Cincinnati. The Panthers had no business being in that game and especially forcing a tie. The Bengals should have controlled that game, but Newton made damn well sure they didn't. On the flip side, the Packers needed a fake spike that miraculously worked to beat the Dolphins, another late game come from behind win from the Discount Double Check. I'll take my chance this week with the offense that is firing on all Newtons.

Kansas City Chiefs @ San Diego Chargers
My Pick: San Diego   Fantasy Impact Player: Phillip Rivers
The MVP season will continue in San Diego this week when Rivers shows us all why we've under appreciated him all of these years. However, I do think this game will come down to a field goal, like last week's Chargers-Raiders game did. The Chiefs are a good football team that is ravaged with injuries, especially on defense. They also can't afford to fall three games back to the Chargers with ten games to go. But, they will.

Arizona Cardinals @ Oakland Raiders
My Pick: Arizona  Fantasy Impact Player: Andre Ellington
David Carr looked better than the Falcons David Carr ever did! Four touchdowns and he almost got the first win of the season agains the 5-1 Chargers last week, and I think he will be in the game with the 4-1 Cardinals this week. But it will probably a game decided by a field goal or maybe a touchdown that Carr and the Raiders will come up on the wrong side of again. I have to give them props though, at least they are fighting hard behind Tony Sporano and company unlike the Bucs and Lovie Smith, who might all be in coma's this season.

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys
My Pick: Dallas   Fantasy Impact Player: DeMarco Murray
Why buy against the man who has joined the company of the immortal Jim Brown by rushing for over 100 yards in each of the team's first six games of a season? Why pick against the team that just defeated the defending Super Bowl champions at home, where they were "unsinkable" until last week? Why pick against the Tony Romo who isn't throwing 50 times a game and has seen his stats soar because of it? And perhaps most importantly, why pick the team ravaged by injuries, overrated by its three game winning streak and overwhelmed by an alarming 27-0 shutout in Philly last Sunday night? Yet, I still feel shaky taking the Cowboys as often as I am.

San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos
My Pick: Denver   Fantasy Impact Player: Peyton Manning and the NFL record!
Peyton breaks it this week with two scores, probably both to Julius Thomas because who else scores touchdowns anymore but Julius Thomas? I see like a 30-26 type game with Manning breaking the record sometime before the half. Also, check out Robert May's piece on ranking all of the players who have caught a touchdown from Peyton Manning. It was a great to remember the greatest of the greats like Dan Klecko and Ben Utecht.

Monday, October 20, 2014
Houston Texans @ Pittsburgh Steelers
My Pick: Pittsburgh   Fantasy Impact Player: Le'Veon Bell
I'm only going with Pittsburgh because this is a match of two mediocre football teams that are struggling offensively, but it is in Pittsburgh. This will be the most boring Monday night game of the season, and Pittsburgh will win a stinker, 13-10. 

Last Week: 7-8 (excuse me while I throw up)
Season Total: 49-42 (excuse me while I throw up)

BONUS! Look for my NBA coverage to be posted sometime this week or next!


No comments: