Wednesday, October 1, 2014

NFL 2014 Crystal Ball Picks- Week 5

The NBA is coming back and the baseball playoffs are officially underway, but we're talking football at the Nugget Blog! Is Tom Brady washed up? Are the Ravens and Cowboys for real? Can the Bengals and Cardinals remain undefeated? And is anyone going to win the NFC South or can we just eliminate them already? Happy October y'all!



Thursday, October 2, 2014
Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers
My Pick: Green Bay   Fantasy Impact Player: Aaron Rodgers
The difference maker in this game is Lambeau Field, because whoever the home team is on Thursday nights is who I am banking on for the time being. I know that backfired last week, but I still think it is the way to go. Granted the Vikings don't have far to travel to play in Green Bay, but they do still have to play on the road in a short week. Both of these teams came up with huge wins last week, so otherwise, this game is a toss-up. The Packers should definitely win this game though especially since my man Teddy Bridgewater seems to have a high ankle sprain.

Sunday, October 5, 2014
Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts
My Pick: Baltimore   Fantasy Impact Player: Torrey Smith
The Ravens secondary should be able to contain Andrew Luck, which means Ahmad Bradshaw or Trent Richardson will need to actually carry the load of the offense. I don't like those odds. I also think the Ravens are putting something together here on this three game winning streak. They handled two goodish teams in Pittsburgh and Carolina and they narrowly escaped a close divisional matchup with the Browns. This Colts game is their biggest test since losing to the Bengals in Week 1, but I think the offense is rolling on all cylinders at the right time to topple Indy.

Chicago Bears @ Carolina Panthers
My Pick: Chicago   Fantasy Impact Player: Matt Forte
As the weeks go on, I am for some reason committed to this Bears team and Matt Forte. This is a game where both teams need a win to stay in playoff contention (I know its early, but morale wise, both teams do need a win) and both teams are coming off tough losses. The Panthers got their asses whooped and their defense might not be able to stop a U8 flag football team. The Bears lost an emotionally charged division game to the struggling Packers. Only one team can win, and I need the Bears to make me look good.

Cleveland Browns @ Tennessee Titans
My Pick: Cleveland   Fantasy Impact Player: Ben Tate
The Browns have looked decent all season and are a few plays from somehow being 3-0. Could you imagine if the Browns were 3-0 marching into Tennessee to take on the immortal Charlie Whitehurst or the slowly debilitating Jake Locker? Cleveland might explode. Either way, the Browns are 1-2 and looking for a nice 2-2 start which is more than possible since the Titans suck.

St. Louis Rams @ Philadelphia Eagles
My Pick: Philadelphia   Fantasy Impact Player: LeSean McCoy
I think this is McCoy's coming out party. After getting ESPN standard owners a solid one point last week, McCoy has had a rough start to the season. A lot of that can be blamed on the porous offensive line ahead of him, falling apart due to injuries, but I just feel like this will be his big week. The Eagles could use a win, they find themselves tied with the surprising Cowboys for first place in a division that was supposed to be as inebriated as Michael Phelps.

Atlanta Falcons @ New York Giants
My Pick: Atlanta   Fantasy Impact Player: Matt Ryan
Its easy to pick the opposite for this game, since the Falcons were upset last week by the Vikings and the Giants have won two in a row and seem to be putting the offensive Humpty Dumpty together again. But when you endorse a bandwagon the way I have in the past few weeks, you don't just jump off at the first sight of a speed bump, you ride that thing until you drive off a cliff. That cliff isn't in New York, ladies and gentlemen. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ New Orleans Saints
My Pick: New Orleans   Fantasy Impact Player: The Entire Saints Offense 
So, Tampa beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh and the Saints got blown out by the freaking Cowboys. With identical records, guess what the line is for this game, albeit being in the House of the Rising Sun. The Saints are favored by 11. Yet, I'm liking the Saints to win by two scores. Dome Drew Brees needs to wake up and shake off the haters and heartbreakers and show us that he is lightning on his feet!

Houston Texans @ Dallas Cowboys
My Pick: Houston   Fantasy Impact Player: DeAndre Hopkins
I am making this pick pretty blindly and might regret this one, but I honestly just can't fathom a planet Earth where this Dallas Cowboys team is 4-1. DeMarco Murray might be the best thing since sliced bread right now, but still. Dallas? 4-1? 

Buffalo Bills @ Detroit Lions
My Pick: Detroit   Fantasy Impact Player: Detroit Defense
However, I can see this Lions team starting 4-1. The offense might be grooving, the defense certainly is grooving and the Lions are at home. I also just can't help but wonder what is going on behind the scenes for the Bills to bench EJ Manuel for the 75 year-old wonder boy Kyle Orton. 

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Jacksonville Jaguars
My Pick: Pittsburgh   Fantasy Impact Player: Ben Roethlisberger
I might be eating my words come next Monday, but Big Ben needs to put that Bucs loss on his shoulders and win this game. He can't just beat the Jaguars, he needs to destroy them in Jacksonville. If the Steelers are going anywhere this season, it needs to start this week with say a 41-10 blowout, certainly possible playing this Jaguars defense that is messier than the end of the A's season. Although really, Ned Yost, pulling James Shields after 88 pitches in the sixth inning?! You brought him in to pitch for that out! Either way, kudos to the Royals for finding the mini skirts made of snake skin for Bowling for Soup. 

Arizona Cardinals @ Denver Broncos
My Pick: Denver   Fantasy Impact Player: Peyton Manning
Both teams were on bye last week, the Cardinals are undefeated and the Broncos probably feel like they should be. The Cardinals have been a great story thus far and they should be incredibly proud of that 3-0 start. 3-1 would be equally impressive for them given the injuries they've sustained. 3-1 is likely, especially if they plan on going into Denver with Drew Stanton.

Kansas City Chiefs @ San Francisco 49ers
My Pick: San Francisco   Fantasy Impact Player: Colin Kaepernick
Do I think the Chiefs are good for beating up on a team that is obviously in shambles? Yes, because they embarrassed the Patriots. Do I think the 49ers are good for beating an undefeated Eagles team, shutting out one of the "best" offenses in the league, and doing all of this despite giving up three scores on special teams and defense? Yes, because they were the better team in that game. Which is more impressive? Tough to tell, this was a tough game to pick, but I'll take that 49ers defense.

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers
My Pick: San Diego   Fantasy Impact Player: Antonio Gates
Easy pick. Jets don't even know who to start at quarterback. They've got no offense. Their defense won't be able to stop this red hot Chargers offense. San Diego is a lock for 4-1.

Cincinnati Bengals @ New England Patriots
My Pick: Cincinnati   Fantasy Impact Player: Giovanni Bernard
Run the ball, pick apart that Patriots defense, and blitz that horrid Patriots offensive line and the Bengals can cake walk to 4-0.

Monday, October 6, 2014
Seattle Seahawks @ Washington Redskins
My Pick: Seattle   Fantasy Impact Player: Russel Wilson
I don't think it will be another Monday night blowout that I will end up falling asleep on my couch during, but I do think it will be a handily won game by the best team in football. 

Last Week: 7-6
Season Total: 33-28


No comments: