Friday, February 1, 2013

My Totally Biased Super Bowl XLVIII Preview

I would try and preview this Super Bowl, but I can't look past my bias anymore. Anyone who is tired of people praising Ray Lewis or who won't listen to a case for Joe Cool and the twenty million dollar contract, kindly click here.

It was twelve years ago the last time the Baltimore Ravens were headlining the Super Bowl. They put a beating on the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXXV and Ray Lewis took home Super Bowl MVP honors. Trent Dilfer was the winning quarterback, and for him, all I can say is I can't believe this video exists. I was only eight years old, but I do remember watching that game and thinking of my grandfather who was at his home also watching that game. My grandpop got me into the Ravens when I was six or seven, the investigation is still being conducted. The first Super Bowl I can remember is Brett Favre vs John Elway. The first Super Bowl I remember paying attention to is Kerry Collins vs Trent Dilfer. The depressing age that was the early 2000s.


Anyway, the Ravens are a part of me. I bleed purple although I am told to bleed green, and I love defense although I am told to love Mike Vick. I have l been through some tough times being a Ravens fan, going through the perils of some historically bad offenses and mediocre seasons led by Kyle Boller to the brief resurgence and failure of Steve McNair. I have gone through heartbreak in the postseason behind John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco, up until this season. I own Ravens boxers and was actually torn apart inside when my roomate broke my Ravens gnome last year. More than I should have been. I have almost broken multiple televisions due to Ravens losses and have more Ravens pens than Ozzie Newsome. 

I am not saying I am a better fan than anyone, I am just saying it would be impossible for me to preview this game without any bias. Of course I think the Ravens are going to win this Sunday. I might even be too overconfident because I see absolutely no way Baltimore loses. I am ignoring the fact that the San Francisco 49ers boast no gay players and are probably the most complete team in football in years. I have simply chosen to ignore that Colin Kaepernick has defied all odds and the defense is as stingy as the 2000 Ravens championship squad was. Through all of this and the 3.5 points the Niners are laying, I am picking Baltimore to win this game, 27-21. I know, this is crazier than the time the Cheeto's cheetah did cocaine.

I just don't see Ray Lewis's career ending in a Super Bowl loss. I can't wrap my head around him walking off the field as Patrick Willis celebrates instead of the greatest linebacker in NFL history. The storybook way that the Ravens have reached this point (beating one of the greatest rookie quarterbacks of all-time in Andrew Luck, than beating two of the greatest quarterbacks in history, back to back and on the road in Peyton Manning and Tom Brady all on the heels of losing four of five heading into the postseason) has to end in a storybook manner. Right?

The deer antler spray story is the biggest bullshit story I have ever heard, lets get that out of the way first. Did anyone question the comeback of Peyton Manning? He returned from three neck surgeries in about sixteen months and almost won MVP this year had it not been for Adrian Peterson, who returned in one year from a torn ACL to put up one of the best running back seasons of all time. Not a single person asked if illegal substances were used to achieve that feat. So why was there speculation when Ray Lewis, a guy dedicated to doing what is best for his body (Lewis has been open about picking one fitness routine to better his overall wellness during every offseason, last year was cycling), returned from a torn pectoral muscle in ten weeks? Because the guy is a murderer, so clearly a cheater.

Bullshit.

People don't like Ray Lewis. I can't tell them not to. But when people don't like someone, they make up things and come to conclusions to belittle them. If Aaron Rodgers came back from a torn pectoral muscle in ten weeks, would people be iffy or suspicious of it? What about Tony Gonzalez? Or Tim Tebow? People would admire them for their bravery and strength. Not Ray Lewis. People have refused to forgive the man for whatever his past sins are and move on with the guy. People are so judgmental and close-minded that they stereotype Lewis for the guy they first met: the kid who was accused of murder (NEVER FOUND GUILTY) and birthed six children to four women. I am in no way condoning this behavior, Lewis screwed up big time. Whether or not he murdered those two innocent people that January night in 2001, he was still present and was absolutely hanging in the wrong crowd and with distorted people. He birthed six children to four women, that is Travis Henry morals. Lewis was brought up in a very negative family environment with no real parental direction or influence to teach him right from wrong. The streets raised him, and the streets almost ruined him. But Lewis turned to God, and people who complain about hearing his preachings and praises are so shallow that it hurts. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ ate dinner with the sinners. Just because Lewis screwed up, and screwed up big time, does not mean he can never redeem himself. What would it take for the Lewis haters to accept him, would they like him to solve world hunger or peace? Or the gun debate? Or maybe he needs to offer to do your taxes for you or produced a good Rob Schneider movie.

I know that no matter what I write people will continue to hate Ray Lewis without realizing that he has accepted his failures and changed his life for the better. But the accusation that Lewis took deer antler spray to cheat is ridiculous. Not because he wouldn't do that, I believe that he did. Not just because there is apparently proof of him taking it, proof I haven't seen or heard, but I'll believe that it exists. But Lewis is a competitor. I don't know if you've noticed, but he has bent over and fell to his knees crying after every game in the postseason this year. He has patented the Ray Lewis dance and delivered more inspirational speeches than Barack Obama. He has turned his life around, watch this video. It will change your opinion on Lewis for the better. And watch this video too, it will change your life for the better. My point is that Lewis loves football, and being away from it what he figured to be his final season killed him. Someone told him this weird substance would help him get back on the field, and out of pure passion and love for the sport, he took it without fully understanding what it was. Maybe not the brightest move, but not intended to cheat. He didn't need to improve his stamina or skill, he is Ray Lewis. Before this season even began, he cemented himself as the greatest linebacker and possibly greatest defensive player in NFL history. Why cheat? It makes no sense.

People just like to hate Ray Lewis. The world keeps spinning.

My other look into this game is through Joe Flacco's eyes. Flacco has been in the news a lot this week, mostly because it is Super Bowl week and the media doesn't miss a chance to see Michael Crabtree reading the morning paper during this time of year. Flacco hasn't helped keep the media away from him by calling a dumb move to host the Super Bowl in New Jersey in the cold (already a bad move, insulting the NFL during Super Bowl week is like insulting Kim Jung Un ever in North Korea) "retarded". That didn't fly, obviously. Flacco immediately retracted and apologized, realizing what he said was retar-, er, the wrong choice of words. Flacco has also created buzz lately by stating he was an elite quarterback earlier in 2012, claiming to be the best quarterback in the league and, just last week, asking for twenty million dollars a year on his next contract.

Should Baltimore give it to him if he wins the big one? Hell yeah!

Joe Flacco has won a playoff game in each of his first five seasons in the league. How many people have done that in NFL history? A goose egg. He has started every game of his career, all 91 of them. He has never posted a 4,000 yard season or some incredible 35 touchdown campaign, but his numbers have steadily improved every year and he is possibly the best deep passer ever. Flacco has more wins than any quarterback since 2008 in the league. He gets it done. He is a rare find in this league, a big quarterback who can throw the ball deep and play in any weather and win. He shows no signs of panic and is about as clutch as they get it with his passive demeanor. He doesn't choke because he doesn't think of what choking is. If choking isn't in your vocabulary, can you choke? If a tree falls in the woods, does Ray Lewis take its bark and rub it on himself to make one extra tackle in his next game? (I'm looking at you, Anne Welker).

Eli Manning's career is pretty close to Joe Flacco's, except Manning has two rings to Joe's zero. Manning has been pretty average but clutch in the regular season, although his wins total since 2008 are not comparable to Flacco's (and the case for Flacco having a great defense is void here, because the Giants have given Manning a pretty good defense too), but both have been completely different guys in the postseason. Manning has gone on two playoff runs since 2007, beating the Patriots in both Super Bowls en route to 4-0 postseason records in both said seasons. Flacco has won a playoff game every year he has been in the league. Manning makes $15 million a year, so Flacco deserves at least that if he claims this ring on Sunday. I make the case for that five extra million a year because Flacco is younger and shows more potential. Manning can blow up in your face often, Flacco just does it every once in a while. Plus he can do this.

So, like I said, this thing would be totally biased. Not really much of a mention at all of the 49ers, and whatever. Baltimore has a chance to write history here and send Ray Lewis off into the sunset at ESPN with one last ring. San Francisco has a chance to end this string of the "hot" teams winning the Super Bowl, angering the football conservatives ("the best team in the league should win the Super Bowl, not the sexy one, dammit! Refill my scotch, Carlton!") The 49ers will probably be back on this stage next year or the following, Baltimore is older and might not. The Ravens time to win is now, and I think it will happen. So we will see one more image of Ray Lewis, tears streaming down his face and kneeling on the ground thanking God, and we will be lucky. Because Lewis has made his life anew, something all of us could take after. Instead of cringing and complaining on Sunday night, maybe we'll embrace the picture of a man who changed and didn't give up after making a mistake, a man we should all look up to. 

No comments: