Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Week 17 NFL Preview

Merry Christmas everyone! I got a new mac for the most wonderful time of the year, and did not plan on writing a blog this week, but simply had to to break in this thing! What they say is true, once you go Mac you never go back! Anywho, here are the news and notes for Week 17 and my playoff predictions. Enjoy!


Game of the Week: Dallas @ Washington, winner wins the NFC East
Prediction: Washington wins, 24-13

I have no faith in the Dallas Cowboys for more reasons than Alex Spanos does to burn bridges with Norv Turner in San Diego this offseason. One, my uncle used to be a Cowboys fan and now is balding, depressed and no longer follows much of anything. Two, Tony Romo carried me to the number one seed, and by carried me I mean was simply just my quarterback, in my fantasy league this season. My team was upset, in the first freakin round, by the eight seed (who happened to be run by a guy who has an alter ego when he drinks. I don't even need to make up that up I'm so furious). Third, I've seen this story far too many times in the Tony Romo era. He needs to win one game, he controls his own destiny, he can turn the ship around, and the opposite happens. Tons of people expect this game to be close, a lot expect the Cowboys to win, few expect Washington to run away with it. Hi, my name is Few.

RGIII is also the NFL Rookie of the Year, there is no argument for this. I am usually pretty open-minded with this stuff, but I can see no argument that outweighs or touches the resume that Griffin has put together. Doug Martin rushed for 1,000 yards and double digit touchdowns blah blah blah, Griffin has rushed for over 600 yards and he's a rookie quarterback. Luck has turned around an entire franchise and stepped in for Peyton Manning blah blah blah his numbers don't hold a candle to Griffin's and RG3 has also turned around a franchise that has not won the NFC East since last millenium (1999, but last millenium sounds sooo much longer). Russell Wilson falls in the same category as Luck, except he's short.

Who wins the NFC West?
Prediction: San Francisco, but only because they got luck of the draw and play Arizona.

A team that starts Brian Hoyer at quarterback is going to be beaten, so the Niners are going to easily walk their ways to the NFC West crown. This doesn't mean Seattle won't win, because I think they will beat the Rams in a fantastic game. Side note: the Rams have really impressed me this season. They have embarrassed the Niners and should have been 2-0 against them, which would have put them at a cleaner 8-7 rather than 7-7-1 and still very much alive in the NFC playoff race. Next season will be huge for Sam Bradford and the rest of this young Rams team. 

Seattle is one of the many teams no one should want to play right now in the NFC (Washington, Minnesota, Green Bay, Carolina for some reason). The Seahawks will win any game they get to play at home in the postseason, but unfortunately it should end up being just one since San Francisco only needs to win their game to win the NFC West. They aren't losing to Arizona.

Which by the way, should not run Beanie Wells once as a punishment and parting gift for the disgruntled running back's comments. He recently stated that he would rather play for 31 other teams over the Cardinals, publicly disagreed with coaching decisions to bench him last week after a costly fumble, and also told reporters that this week would be an audition for the other teams around the league to make a move on him this offseason. First off, if I am a general manager, I give up nothing to get a player with that attitude. Second off, if I'm Ken Whisenhunt, I don't give Wells a single carry this week for his comments and I request him to be released from my team or he won't play at all next year. Comments like Wells' would have no place on my team if I were running one. Needless to say, my team would have an NBA 2k tournament every training camp.

Can Adrian Peterson break the rushing record?
Prediction: No

That doesn't mean he doesn't come damn close (is that a double negative?). Peterson put 180 yards on the ground against Green Bay earlier this season, but that was a different team. Also, the Packers have plenty to play for. With a win, the Pack can lock up a first round bye. They also will want to keep momentum going into the postseason, so I am sure they will play their starters. 

However, that won't matter since Peterson has proven that he is not human this season and he can do whatever he wants. But I don't think he has 208 yards in him, he might have another 150 yard game in him, but not 208. 

NFC Playoff Picture
1. Atlanta 14-2
2. Green Bay 12-4
3. San Francisco 11-4-1
4. Washington 10-6
5. Seattle 11-5
6. Minnesota 9-7
OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
7. Chicago 9-7
8. New York Giants 9-7
9. Dallas 8-8
10. St. Louis 7-8-1

NFC Wild Card Prediction
6 Minnesota over 3 San Francisco
4 Washington over 5 Seattle

NFC Divisional Round Prediction
1 Atlanta over 6 Minnesota
2 Green Bay over 4 Washington

NFC Championship Game
Atlanta Falcons 34, Green Bay Packers 28

AFC Playoff Picture
1. Houston 13-3
2. Denver 13-3
3. New England 12-4
4. Baltimore 11-5
5. Indianapolis 10-6
6. Cincinnati 9-7
OUTSIDE LOOKING IN
7. Pittsburgh 8-8
8. Miami 7-9
9. San Diego 7-9

AFC Wild Card Prediction
3 New England over 6 Cincinnati
4 Baltimore over 5 Indianapolis

AFC Divisional Round Prediction
4 Baltimore over 1 Houston
2 Denver over 3 New England

AFC Championship Game
Denver Broncos 28, Baltimore 17

Super Bowl Prediction
Denver Broncos 21, Atlanta 14



No comments: